09 August 2010

Seven Ways to Entertain your Family and Friends

But wait! There's more!

Have you seen the dress that you can wear seven different ways? One dress. Seven styles. I'm not saying pair it with a jacket and and some flip flops for the casual look and then dress it up with a pair of heels and a silver clutch for that night time flair. I'm saying, wrap here and twist there, and voila! It's a new dress. Tuck there and sinch here, and yet again, a brand new dress!

Well, now I own one. Thanks, Mom. And it's coming to China with me.

But of course, it couldn't leave the States without a live demonstration. And what could be more entertaining to family and friends, some of whom I haven't seen in years, than modeling the several styles of said dress in front of them? Well, nothing, quite frankly.

You have to have the kind of family and friends I have to find this remotely entertaining. You have to understand that when my father shouted out, "Wow, that looks like a completely new outfit. It's amazing," he did so without sarcasm. It was as if he had been hired for the live infomercial that was taking place in my parents' living room on Saturday night. When my parents' neighbors, who are really more family than just neighbors, demanded to see style number five again, but this time with the scoop neck in front, we were squealing with delight. When my 18 year old cousin and his older brother oohed and awwwed along with the crowd, I knew that we crossed the line of just plain amusement into pure silliness. Cool caps were off, and family fun time was on.

These are the kinds of moments I hope we can replicate over the next year. I'm not suggesting that our first week in China I'm going to gather my new Beijing friends into our apartment to make them watch me model my new dress...now that would be embarrassing. Besides, I'll wait at least a few months before we get to that stage in our relationships.

However, any suggestions for seven (or several) new ways to entertain myself while in Beijing would be much appreciated. Let's start a running tally. You tell me where to go, and what to do, and I'll try my best to make it there and make it happen. I'm not shy. Let the ooohs and awwwes begin.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure you will not have a problem finding kindred spirits in Beijing for whom you can model clothing; I think the important thing here is that you know you will always have your family back home for when they don't appreciate it the same way we do!

    ReplyDelete