29 November 2010

my xiao dumpling

"Your dumpling looks like Australia."

In one of my last posts I mentioned that the Uncles, Z and I took a cooking lesson from Chunyi's Hutong Cuisine cooking school. We found out about Hutong Cuisine from our ever handy Insider's Guide to Beijing 2010. Learning how to make handmade dumplings and noodles has been on my growing Beijing "to do" list so I was most excited for the day. But, before I could even make my dumplings into the shape of Australia, instead of into a more perfect crescent moon design as instructed, I first had to learn how to purchase all the necessary ingredients. So, the day started out early at a market near the cook's home -- hence Hutong Cuisine. She showed us how to choose the best eggs (the ones that are smooth to the touch, and when shaken don't make a sound), how much pork and beef and what cut to select, and she explained to us why many people purchase large quantities of Chinese spring onions early in the season (because they will last all winter long).

choosing just the right eggs


shu cai





After the market tour, we were invited back to Chunyi's home to continue our lesson. Inside the well loved, well kept and well used hutong kitchen and outer room, we learned about the importance of and differences between dark and light soy sauces, vinegars and cooking wines. Now, when I go into Chinese supermarkets, I am not as lost amongst the many aisles of essential ingredients. I can start building up my love of all things condiments -- Chinese style: soy sauces, vinegars, chilies, preserved vegetables, oyster sauces, mushroom sauces, sesame oil, cooking wines...

Then, with the basics down, and with cleaver, chopsticks, wok and rolling pin in hand (but not at the same time) it was time to chop, roll, flatten, slice, dice, pinch, boil, stir, steam and fry.  

preparing the vegetables
chopping ginger

the dough is rolled out, cut and ready to flatten for dumplings
                       
Australia! 







Once the dumplings were plopped in the steamer, it was time to make the noodles!

I'll show you the trick to noodle making 

in they go!
and seconds later...out they come!

Home Sweet Hutong







The Hutong Cuisine offers many cooking courses and I plan to learn how to stir fry beef, dish out mapo dofu, and how to gongbao a jiding. Though my dumplings could use more practice, I will conquer Beijing one chopstick full at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment