17 March 2011

BNTM

Beijing is a funny place where you can explore any aspect of yourself, your abilities, your whims, other people's whims. Only in Beijing, and only at the ripe old age of 30 can one become a model of sorts. I'm not talking of the "role" variety, but rather, the "posing" variety. My point is, I had a very fun(ny) experience yesterday helping a friend of a friend with his work. I got to pose for a series of black and white photographs by a Chinese artist and photographer. I don't yet know how ridiculous I look in these photos, and I won't tell you the artist's name or his website until I first have the chance to self-sensor.  

Don't worry, Ma, it's all on the up-and-up. My friend and I went together for the photo-shoot (my friend is the artist's friend), and we brought our own clothing. My friend was instructed to wear a suit, and I had a few costume changes (from a selection I sent him, the artist chose my new fabulous grey Anthro dress, a black J. Crew number, and my favorite BCBG). Besides my friend being asked to wear a fluorescent red chin length bob style wig, my favorite moment was when the electric fan was brought out to encourage more billowing of my floor length dress. In a fashion designer's apartment studio, to the tunes of Ella, Louie, Nina, Anita, Aretha and Billie I was told not to smile. I was instructed not to laugh. I was coached to relax my eyes...relax my eyes...relax my eyes. Any more relaxed and I'd be asleep! I was directed this way and that with instructions in Chinese and in English: Look at me, look away! Look at the lights! Pose. Pose again. Switch. Stand up. Sit down. Relax. Sit up straight. Relax. Move your right arm behind your body, more, hide your hands, tilt your head this way. Chin down. A little down. I little up. Relax!

I had my hair and makeup done. Retouched. Redone. Slicked down. I had feathers in my hair and baubles strewn across my neck.  When I could steal a moment, I laughed at myself. 

Beijing memories like yesterday's are hard forgotten. Especially when the proof is there in black and white. 

No comments:

Post a Comment