27 July 2010

Velocity, or is it Inertia?

Two important things you should know about me in my pre-departure state:
1) I am a list maker. I make lists of things to do, things to pack, things to keep, things to throw away, things to research, things to clean, things to photograph…And then I make lists of those lists. Simply put, this helps me to get things done.
2) After work as of late, my two perpetual states of (e)motion are A) great, forward moving accomplishments followed by rewarding myself with a glass or two of sauvignon blanc or B) great inactivity as a result of my hyper awareness of what I still need to do before we leave, followed by crying and then a glass of sauvignon blanc.

Today was actually a hybrid of the two conditions. Before I broke down into a small puddle amid the storage boxes, I managed to cancel our cable/internet service for our move-out date, and I researched international medical insurance coverage, and (and!) I investigated the Chinese visa and immunization requirements. Four checks on my “to do” list in one day. Well, they are at least half-checks. I haven’t actually purchased the insurance yet or decided on the right policy or figured out how we are going to pay for it, and I still have to get a tetanus shot and find my immunization records (was that a shot for hepatitis A or B that I got before college, and what’s the difference again?), and I have to fill in the visa paperwork and send it in and hope that the nice woman or man at the embassy office will allow me to get the type of visa that I need for the year, and I still have to find the nearest cable office and drop off that cable box that they make you rent (why did I cancel it for the same day we move out? There won’t be any time for that!)…you see how effortlessly the puddle on the floor forms?

So then I go back to my lists, and I dry off the storage boxes; I can’t let them sit amongst tears or spilt glasses of wine. I keep packing away, and make a note below the more important items on my lists, that I still need to cancel my NY Times subscription, pack my bike helmet (I don’t own a bike, by the way, and haven’t ridden one since I was seven), find that missing shoe before I give up on it altogether and throw this one away, send my black dress to the dry cleaners before we leave...I’m on my third glass, what was I saying?

1 comment:

  1. i read a nyt article recently regarding recent studies that indicate that HAVING immunizations and THINKING about having immunizations produce the same level of immunity on the whole.

    or was that an onion article?

    either way, it wasn't on cable television, so good for you for returning the box from china. be sure to get delivery confirmation.

    ReplyDelete