13 September 2010

I am not a husband, but my boyfriend’s name is April

September 8, 2010

Things I Did Today (err, Yesterday) (err, September 7)

1) Ate my first Chinese breakfast of dumplings in a broth with baby bock Choy. I skipped the noodles. All went well.

2) Bargained for umbrellas. I should provide some clarification here. Z bargained for umbrellas. I can do little other than stand near Z while he is negotiating, smile or nod, or sometimes a combination of both for emphasis. I say “hello” and “thank you” in Mandarin a lot, also.

3) Looked at more apartments. We haven’t found the right place yet – more on that later.

4) Stood in line to register Z with his host University for two…no, three…no, four hours. This was just the first step in the day’s registration process.

5) Walked into a men’s bathroom.

6) Walked out of a men’s bathroom.

7) Found the women’s bathroom.

8) Used a squatting toilet for the first time in China. Hmmm. Do I elaborate on this? Not sure if I will get used to this.

9) Learned how to say, “I am not a student,” and “This is my husband.”

10) Told one of the staff registering Z that, “I am not a husband.”

11) Sat in a room full of strangers, at a large conference table, while Z explained his dissertation topic to his host University adviser. This was an unexpected turn of events. I couldn’t get a good sense of whether Z was horrified by the experience, or whether he knew what he was talking about. Maybe somewhere in between.

12. Had my first xiao long bao. Juicy pork dumplings. Mmmmmmm.

13) Looked at more apartments.

14) Came across an expat grocery store named “April Gourmet.” (April!!! Good sign!)

15) Thought I remembered some Mandarin from a county class I took in NJ. Motioned to the agent showing us around the neighborhood that I wanted to stop to take a picture, and then said “My boyfriend’s name is April!”

16) Was given a strange look by the agent, and then was quickly corrected by Z, that “My friend’s name is April.” Right. I’ll remember that one for next time.

17) Looked at more apartments

18) Afraid to admit it, but went to a Beijing Wal-Mart to buy a hairdryer.

19) Experienced the anesthetizing yet tasty sensation of the Sichuan peppercorn. So good, yet so deadly. I’m in trouble here.

No comments:

Post a Comment