23 September 2010

Isn't it romantic?




I'm not really allowed to have caffeine. My insides tumble around and I feel as if there are miniature acrobats performing tricks through my bloodstream; my heart rate races to catch upwith my speedy thoughts about nothing and everything all at once. Lots of people like this feeling early in the morning, which I suppose is why there are so many Starbucks even in Beijing. I am wired enough without caffeine and don't normally need any extra help. Preventing myself from consuming what others may see as average quantities of caffeinated beverages is a self-imposed rule, and not dictated by Z or anyone else. However, when I do get alittlecaffeinein me, for example, when I consume two large cups of freshly brewed lychee tea, newlypurchased yesterday, Z likes to point out that I am talking a little faster than normal, or that I seem to speak in one long run-on sentence....eh, hem. I should have paid more attention when the woman selling me the tea told me to drink a little if I am feeling tired. I am not feeling tired any more this morning. I am brewing a batch for iced-tea.

I made my ever-growing list yesterday, but did not formally study any Mandarin. However, I had good reason not to because yesterday we celebrated the Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as the Moon Festival) with the rest of Beijing on a perfectly sunshiny and breezy day. Mid-Autumn Festival is a harvest festival day spent with family and friends, enjoying each other's company while eating mooncakes and gazing up at the night's bright moon.

We celebrated by spending the day strolling around Houhai, which may be one of my new favorite places to visit here. And it wasn't even on my list of things to see and do yet! It is amazing the variety of places to explore in this city. Houhai has a park-like atmosphere, surrounded by little shops, restaurants and bars. In the center of Houhai are two spectacular lakes Qianhai and Houhai, in which Beijingers and tourists alike can wistfully float along in little rented boats. It was a romantic setting, showcased by red lanterns, fireworks, weeping willows and playfulness. We walked along unexpectedly for hours and hours, stopping along the way for a drink or to window shop or to purchase a batch of tea and our first Buddha.

Although we opted out from several invitations for a ride, because, "feet are slow, I give you a good price," rickshaws are for hire, flanking the lakes and crowding the streets. Many families and children were out and about, enjoying the day as we did. I even tried my first sort-of street food. Candied fruit and cherry tomatoes on a stick -- a fruit kebab of sorts. I was so enamored by the taste, and most likely the sugar high that followed, that I had two throughout the day!


As the sun was setting we found a place for dinner up at the tippity top of a restaurant's roof. The only light was from the moon and the dozens of red lanterns hanging table side. The air was chilly, but the restaurant provided blankets for its patrons to snuggle under. We saw fireworks and floating red lanterns let loose into the night breeze. So there we were, gazing up at the moon, enjoying our noodles, feeling so romantic and in love, until we heard from the next table, "huuuuck, patooy. huck, huck, huck, bbbbbpppptt." This went on for the duration of our meal. All two hours of our meal because the service was sllllloooooowwwww. But that is besides the point. The Beijing spitter need not excuse himself from the table to hock his loogies. He need not even pardon himself with each flemmy, throaty cough. His friends don't mind, so, why should you? You might as well join in!



Last night's dinner was the most comical and romantical (I know, it's not a word, Ma), we have had, yet...ever. Our reward for enduring the cacophony of sounds from our neighbor while
waiting for our spring rolls, came to us in the form of a grand gesture of friendship. The spitter's table of friends shared with us their mooncakes!

This is big time for me. Last night was the first time since we have moved here that I think it might be possible that I may actually make some friends in Beijing, spitting aside.




No comments:

Post a Comment