05 October 2010

About that.

I think I was delirious the other day when I decided to share story time with you. Sorry about that. But as you already know, this past weekend was a bust. I even spent all day Monday in the recovery zone. Now that it's already Tuesday and I've showered and brushed my teeth, it's back to finding my present purpose in life.

Thanks to my experiences thus far, I have crossed off a few things from my list of potential abilities:
1) raising fish
2) dumpling taste tester
3) kung fu master - I watched the newest Karate Kid the other day, and decided I just don't have those high kicking abilities in me after all.
4) nanny - there is a day care center of sorts on the back side of our apartment building, and while I don't mind the raucous and laughter because it lets me know there's something out there, I've decided that nannying in Beijing or elsewhere really isn't for me. I love kids and I miss all the children in my life, but I have little to no interest in being responsible other peoples' children.
5) Stay at home wife - I think it's pretty clear that I'm going out of my mind, and being trapped indoors with food poisoning for three days has put me over the edge.

What I haven't scratched off the list:
1) Dog walker - there are plenty of nouveau riche clientele in Beijing with furry, four legged friends who need some love, fresh air and exercise. Despite not being furry, I could also use the love and fresh air.
2) Part-time Mandarin student - still researching classes, but getting a little closer. I need to set a deadline for finding a class.
3) Infrequent yoga student - I am re-re-introducing myself to the wonders of exercise. I even signed up for a Intro to Yoga Retreat that starts in two weeks (it was the first one available, I'm not trying to postpone this). I am inspired by my friend and former co-worker who is the most bad ass yogi (among other accolades) I've ever met. She also told me to get out there and meet some expats, so I'm taking the first actual physical step toward that goal.
4) Becoming the Chinese Martha Stewart -- I am a pretty crafty lady if I put my mind to it. Except, that I haven't been putting my mind to anything lately. And, I don't know how to sew. But, still, I see potential in this open market.
5) Craigslist stalker - This counts as a bonus, because I have never used Craigslist, so I'll be trying something new! My goal is to secure one activity, item or event I can attend, purchase or lead based on my findings.
6) Volunteer! This one might have the most potential. When was the last time I was a contributing member to society in which I gave back my time and efforts? Go forth, youth! (Hmm, almost 30 years old). Go forth, almost-30-is-the-new-early-20s!




No comments:

Post a Comment