18 October 2010

...should you choose to accept it

I'll start with the question:
Is it better to walk 20 minutes to class in the rain and cold with an umbrella to protect you from the elements falling from the overcast sky?
OR 
Is is better to manage a five-minute bike ride to class at top speed in the rain and cold, with no umbrella and the winds coming at you at an accelerated rate, while your hands freeze to the handlebars? 
I expect at least my Virginian-Rhode Islander by way of Austin, Princeton, Philly cohorts to ponder me this one.
Either way, I got to class just fine.

Yes, today was another big day big morning in the newly discovered adult life of yours truly. I was a bit confused after the first 50 minutes of class when still, it was just little old me in the hot seat, and no other students to be found in what is supposed to be a "small group" class. Perhaps I missed the memo for bring your own students to class day? I have been told that my fellow classmate, singular, will be ready to learn alongside me for the full 110 minutes on Wednesday morning. Woo! hoo! I'm a student again! And I promise this is legit. It's not a "Speak Mandarin in less than 24 Hours if you Act Now!! You'll go from Dud to Dim Sum," kind of schooling. My laoshi is great (remember, "great" is a highly regarded adjective). Thus far, she is patient and kind and friendly. 

Since I undertook one of my "to do" items from my China list, its time to add on another. It's going to be:
While dining out with Z, invite a perfect stranger or couple to dine with us. There are lots of expats in this city, and it's possible that most of them want to be left alone. But that is not going to stop me from trying harder to be more welcoming and friendly to them. 

Because I challenged myself today, I am throwing one simple mission your way, should you choose blah blah blah:
Eat your breakfast/lunch/dinner with chopsticks today! I'm raising the stakes: the meal cannot be Chinese food or sushi or Asian food of any kind. And it can't be finger food, either. Go ahead. Feel silly about it. Set the table with those bamboo wonders instead of the familiar trio of flatware you love. Dig into your favorite t-bone or chicken fricassee without a knife and fork; slurp up that chicken noodle soup or cap'n crunch sans spoon. No cheating, now. (I savored the moment and used chopsticks today to eat salt and vinegar chips. Those imported crisps are too expensive to wolf down in a few senseless chomps.)

This message will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3... 

1 comment:

  1. I vote for walking. But I almost always vote for walking over car, public transit, or bike!

    ReplyDelete