06 October 2010

Man Mao



There are a few larger than life "must see" destinations across the Northern Hemisphere I have been privileged to visit as a tourist, a student, or now as the tag-a-long-spouse.  And despite all the trappings of commercialization and ubiquitous souvenirs associated with most tourist destinations -- shot glasses, postcards, t-shirts, hats, watches with face dials displaying pictures of Chairman Mao --  I think it's better to have experienced these places, and some of their trinkets, than not at all. I won't be heartbroken if in my travels I happen to miss the World's Largest Cheese-filled Floating Log; I would have been disappointed, however, if I never saw the Eiffel Tower when I was in Paris for the weekend, or if I ignored Big Ben and the Tower of London when I was a grad student, or even if I decided not to climb the 354 stairs to the top of the Statue of Liberty's crown when I was 12 years old. How could I have come home from an Arizona trip visiting a friend without having gone to the Grand Canyon? What's a honeymoon in Greece without elbowing your way through the crowd to the top of the Acropolis? 


Why the serious face?
'Cause Mao was a serious man.





And then there is Beijing's Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. I know what you're thinking..."Do I have to see yet another picture of someone standing in front of the Forbidden City with Mao in the background?" Ugh! The answer is "Definitely. Yes!" 







Which one is keeping guard?

Take a rest; show some pride OR Show some pride; take a rest



















We made our way to the man, the myth, the legend, two weekends ago (and I am just telling you about it now, yes). It's the sheer size of it all that makes the location impressive. There is a four (?) lane highway that separates the Square from the City (we're on a last name basis), and there is a massive underpass that allows pedestrian traffic to cross from one side to the other. It was a blue sky kind of day when we were there, and by midday the Square was filled with buzzing activity in preparation for the current National Day week long holiday. Intricately designed flower beds and sculptures were being pruned, and two massive screens obstructing the open view of the Square displayed the proud accomplishments of culturally and artistically inclined like-minded Chinese citizens.





Two Screens; One Square; Many Red Flags
After I absorbed my history lesson from Z about the Square, we crossed under and up over to reach the Forbidden City. (We interrupt this blog for a word from our sponsors: The Please Visit Us campaign says, "Act Now! History lessons by Z come free with any visit!") There is nothing quite like the six century old complex that makes up the Forbidden City. There more rooms (8,707), more palaces, building and temples (980), more gilded objects (lots), and many, many more dragons (it's got to be in the tens of thousands) than I can imagine there being anywhere else in the world.  If you would like a quick tutorial about the Forbidden City, I suggest you click here. If you would prefer to amuse yourself with pictures instead, I suggest you continue with this posting by perusing a few of my snapshots of the iconic historical site. Perhaps if you are reading this with a friend, you can take turns educating yourself aloud about the Forbidden City while perusing my pictures simultaneously. 




Reeelhhax. It's the Hall of Supreme Harmony




Look at that view!
Inspiration for a future tattoo? (just kidding, Ma!)



Qianlong Emperor's throne inside the Hall of Supreme Harmony

At the top of the Large Stone Carving weighing more than 200 tons 


Chinese lions don't mess around











Inside the Imperial Garden










p.s. This also happened that day


Even the people in the background are shocked. She asked me to take a picture together, and I awkwardly accepted.
Z snapped this moment so I wouldn't forget my first loawai moment.


















1 comment:

  1. I think its interesting that you felt compelled to justify your decision to do quintessentially touristy things (while visiting as a tourist!). I felt the same compulsion when explaining to people that I spent hours visiting the Tower of London a couple of weeks ago. I'll refrain from speculating here as to what that says about us!

    ReplyDelete